WANT TO BE A CONFIDENT, KNOCK-THEIR-SOCKS OFF SPEAKER WHOSE AUDIENCES SAY “TELL ME MORE” EVERY TIME?
Join The Speakers Playground – a creative practice space for entrepreneurs, corporate employees, and community leaders to become confident and memorable speakers
- You have something to say, a story to tell… but think you don’t know how to tell it so you keep it under wraps.
- You want to make a splash, have an impact, wow the people you’re speaking to… but the space between you and the stage feels like a million mile moat.
- You want to be YOU when you speak, in all your authentic, quirky glory.
- You want to give a talk that will be memorable long after it ends… but you run the other way every time you’re invited to speak.
- You want to stop worrying about getting it right — break some rules, speak on your terms, tell it like it is, blow the roof off, make waves.
I felt confident and in charge, AND I HAD FUN.
“At my most recent speaking event, I actually found myself connecting with people in the audience rather than blanking out. I felt confident and in charge, AND I HAD FUN. Afterward, people approached me with words of praise, acknowledging a powerful shift in my presence. I was amazed to see I actually had an impact AND stayed present for the whole experience!”
– Shannon Harriman, Where There Be Dragons
Speaker’s Playground participants have:
- Delivered much-dreaded talks in front of networking groups, gotten leads, had fun, and walked away excited for the next opportunity to speak
- Led high-level meetings at work and had colleagues notice a change in confidence and presence
- Told stories at the Truth Be Told story slam and came in first place the first time out of the gate
Consider this: What if that pipe dream you have about speaking with confidence, power and ease isn’t actually a pipe dream, but right around the corner?
I’m Johanna Walker.
I’m a storyteller, a deep listener, and a champion for your true voice.
I know what it’s like to cower and disappear, to convince yourself you have nothing to say, to pass the power to someone else who “says it better” and hide in the back of the room.
I also know the transformative power of speaking, of showing up fully in my voice and my genius, of showing the truth of who I am and letting that presence be the thing that attracts the people I’m meant to serve.
I love helping passionate, inspired speakers and wanna-be-speakers share their messages with the world. I love seeing someone walk right up to her fear, shake its hand, and keep right on going.
I believe you can speak for your business, give presentations at work or to your boss, your congressman, an investor—all with confidence, presence, and a little bit of your own personal flare.
YOU ROCK. I LOVE THIS GROUP.
“When I first found you, I was struggling with keeping my nerves in check and staying calm and focused during presentations. Over the course of being in this group, I have learned to stay grounded, breathe and relate to my anxiety in a different and new way.
You rock. I love this group.”
– Auburn Meisner
You could be the speaker who:
- Raises your hand every time there’s an invitation to speak, because you know your voice matters, and you can stand in your confidence, eager to share your message with the world.
- Has fun speaking. You own the room, connect with your audience, show up fluidly present in your body so you can navigate what’s happening in the moment, NOT be glued to a script that goes out the window when something goes off track.
- Is willing to walk to your own edge and lean into what’s possible right on the other side of discomfort and fear.
- Not only says yes to speaking opportunities that will transform your business and your life, but actually goes after them, because you have the skills it takes to OWN those opportunities that until now you only dreamed of.
- Identifies and is known as a thought leader among your peers and beyond. No more holding back. No more hiding in the back of the room. No more apologies for what you know you have to say. No more excuses.
- Shakes loose the status quo and speaks for liberation–your own and that of the people around you. Because you know the power of ONE SINGLE VOICE, and you’re ready to let YOURS be one that is heard in the world.
What is the Speakers Playground?
The Speakers Playground is a bi-monthly, in-person experience in Boulder, CO to help you gain confidence and develop the skills to be a confident and memorable speaker.
- In-person, theme-based sessions: We’ll meet two times per month. Each month we’ll focus on a different theme. (Connection, Presence, Managing Fear, Body Language, Vocal Power, etc)
- Ongoing practice opportunities: At each meeting you’ll have the opportunity to get on your feet, connect to your body & voice (so they don’t betray you when it’s your turn to speak) and transform nerves into your battery pack of power.
- Skill development: You’ll learn new skills for speaking, and will have a variety of opportunities to integrate and make these skills your own.
- A community of new and seasoned speakers: You’ll meet other speakers who are on the path to using speaking to grow their businesses, advance their careers, (re)claim their power and change the world. They’ll be your cheerleaders, your practice partners, your vulnerability squad, your safety net. They might even be collaborators, referrals, and new friends.
Because the truth is, when we show up fully as ourselves and speak truth that’s in our bones, the things that have been in the way of our power can no longer stand.
WHAT IT’S NOT:
- This is not an online DIY program. You’ll get access to online content to support you in your home practice, but the bulk of the work happens in person, by showing up again and again to step right into the center of your discomfort in a room of others doing the same thing.
- This is not a weekend retreat where you “get it all figured out in one shot.” Your patterns around speaking took a lifetime to set in. They’re not going to change overnight. Sustainable transformation takes time, practice, and returning again and again to the edge of your comfort zone, so you can watch it expand and grow exponentially.
- This is not a private package of one on one sessions. It’s about community–about the attention you bring and the attention you receive from the group. When it comes to speaking, the true value is in letting yourself be seen by others, again and again. You’ll get focused attention on you and your particular needs, and you’ll gain immense amounts of golden nuggets of speaking wisdom by bringing your attention to other people as well.
- This is not a speech crafting course. We will develop content in the context of having something to work within our fine-tuning of delivery skills. Deeper content development is beyond the scope of this program, and can be specifically addressed in a private package or a mastermind program. If you want to hear more about those options, let’s talk.
- This is not a course in how to get booked to speak. If you want support around getting booked to speak, go here. Again, this course can supplement that work, but is not that work.
The other thing this is not is a place where I tell you how to hold your hands right, or where to stand, or how many words per minute. Those are important indeed, but they happen in the context of getting your VOICE and BREATH and BODY and HEART all in the same room, working together, making you shine, every time you speak, in your unique, quirky, there’s-only-one-you way.
In this ongoing, bi-monthly, practice and play time, you’ll learn the basics of public speaking, but I PROMISE you, it won’t be boring and it WON’T be like all the other public speaking classes you’ve taken, (or dreaded taking, as the case may be). You’ll get connected to yourself, to one another, to your audiences…over and over again.
To SPEAK in any situation with confident and authentic power is the most effective way to stand out in the crowd and influence the people you’re meant to serve.
I’ll show you how to OWN THE ROOM next time you take the mic AND STAY TRUE TO YOUR AUTHENTIC QUIRKY IMPERFECTLY HUMAN SELF
Cuz that’s the only way to roll, right?
(And yes, you, it’s possible for YOU too!)
Words from current participants:
“Johanna, thank you so much for what you do! The class last night was excellent. Edgy, uncomfortable, fun, and full of the seeds of growth and change…” ~L.W.
“I absolutely loved yesterday. The exercises, the small group break-outs, and the large group sessions were all great!” ~S.H.
“What a great bunch of human beings–I love the class, the people, the exercises, the extremely accessible and practical skills, and the FUN! You’re a wonderful and authentic speaker and instructor, Johanna. Thank you for sharing your passion with us!” ~P.F.
“I still can’t believe that last night was fun. It was, though–and you are so good at what you do!! I feel so much less nervous about the 2 talks that I have to give at CU tomorrow after last night.” ~J.M.
THE NITTY GRITTY:
- The Speakers’ Playground meets the first & third Tuesday evenings of each month, 6-8pm, and Thursday mornings during the week of the 1st & 3rd Tuesday (which does not always land on the 1st & 3rd Thursday!) from 10am-12pm. There are a few exceptions to this pattern so be sure to confirm dates with us.
- There is a minimum 3-month commitment with monthly membership. Commit for 6 months, you’ll save $97.
- You get bi-monthly training and coaching sessions, action steps for taking the work into your business and life, and lifetime access to online content, Public Speaking 101, which contains practices & meditations to help you stay on track between meetings.
- You’ll also get special savings if you decide to work one-on-one with me or within my signature mastermind, Women Who Speak.
$497 for 6 month membership
$97/month (minimum 3 month commitment)
What if I miss a class?
There are two sections of Speaker’s Playground — Tuesday evening and Thursday morning. During the tenure of your membership, you’re invited to make up any class you miss in the alternate group.
Can I bring a friend?
Absolutely! Friends are always welcome. You can bring any friend to one free session. If you have a friend who you know would benefit, email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know and confirm that there’s space available.
Can I practice giving my talk with this group?
There won’t be time for you to work on an entire talk, but you’ll have a chance to work with parts of it in front of the group while working on specific speaking skills. You’ll also have a team of supportive companions on the speaking journey. Many past participants have organized impromptu practice sessions to support one another and serve as an audience to practice talks in front of.
What if I want help crafting a talk?
The Speaker’s Playground is a great place to work on delivery, presence and growing your confidence as a speaker. If you want help developing content, that’s much better done in private sessions or my group mastermind for women, Women Who Speak. If you’d like to discuss one of those options, let’s book a Discovery Session and we can talk more about what’s possible. Here’s a link to apply.
Can I just watch?
Sorry. Nope. Everyone in the playground gets to be on their feet playing. Watching is an important part of the learning process, so you will be watching others work in front of the group and learning a lot from their experience. But you’ll be up next, so don’t get too comfy in that chair!
What should I wear?
Wear clothes that are comfortable to move in and shoes that are comfortable to walk in and/or easy to take off.
Can you come to my company?
Absolutely. I love working with teams and supporting them in growing their public speaking skills. If you’d like to set up a time to talk or introduce me to someone at your company who would help move that project forward, email me at email@example.com. Tell me more about your business and what you’re looking for.
What if I don’t want to give talks but I just want more confidence?
The Speaker’s Playground is great for building confidence. Just last week in class someone said, “I came to the speaker’s playground because I wanted to grow my business and get better at speaking. All that’s happening, but I’m getting better at LIFE.” So yes, you’ll find that your confidence will grow by leaps and bounds in all situations.
What are the upcoming dates?
Upcoming Dates for Tuesday sessions:
In most cases, Tuesday sessions are the first and third Tuesday of each month, except for a few exceptions. Here are dates for December 2018 and the beginning of 2019:
January (2019) 8 & 22
February (2019) 5 & 19
March (2019) 5 & 19
Dates for Thursday sessions:
The Thursday sessions (in most cases) are the same week at the first Tuesday (which is not always the first Thursday).
January (2019) 10 & 24
February (2019) 7 & 21
March (2019) 7 & 21
1035 Pearl Street (4th floor conference room), Boulder
Thursday sessions will be held at:
DOUBLE RAINBOW RANCH
6541 N. 63rd St, Niwot
Still have questions? Email Johanna to find out more.